Note from Diane: Increasing productivity, time management and being more effective are some of the most talked about aspects of being an entrepreneur in today's fast paced world.
As someone who has run an old style offline bricks and mortar business for over 15 years before making the transition to an online marketing business it seems a million miles away from the days when the phone literally ruled and ran your day. There was little or no hope of getting anything that you set out to do done in between constant interruptions from the phone.
The big surprise is that most office and admin jobs in large organisations are still run that way.
When you can out source that part of your business … do, it will give you back the energy, time and focus to work “on” your business not “in” it.
Having more time to manage is often one of the biggest challenges because you have to be very disciplined about managing it and use it as an effective way to get more of the important tasks done more of the time.
Feature Article: 3 Productivity Hacks That Will Make You 3X More Effective
1. Divide Your To Do List Into 3 Sections
If you are an avid goal setter and you like to get organised about achieving the tasks you set out to do chances are you run your day from your To Do List.
I am not sure how I would function without one because it is something that when used properly can literally de-stress you and change your life for the better.
There is nothing more satisfying than checking off another TO DO!
The first hack that will increase your effectiveness is to:-
Divide your To Do List into 3 sections.
- Name the first section “80% Income Producing Activities”
- Name the second section “10% Maintenance tasks”
- Name the third section “10% Phone, correspondence & email / other”
Examples of income producing activities may include:-
- Writing adverts and running campaigns on Facebook
- Creating new products or adding products to your range to sell
- Finding joint venture opportunities that are mutually beneficial
- Driving more traffic to your website
- Speaking to potential clients and customers
- Creating point of sale materials and lead magnets for next month’s offers
Examples of maintenance tasks may include:-
- Social media
- Weekly Newletters
- Content creation
Examples of phone, correspondence & email / other is pretty self-explanatory.
Rearrange your To Do Tasks into the new categories making sure you put the most important ones at the top of each section.
Do these first.
Pay close attention to the amount of activities you are doing on a daily or weekly basis, if they are not in the top category it will quickly reveal where you spend most of your time and challenge you to complete more of the top section tasks more of the time.
2. Either Become A Rooster Or An Owl
You will no doubt be familiar with the habits of highly successful people and as they have the same number of hours in a day as you & I they must know some tips and tricks to getting more done than the rest of us because they seem to be super human when it comes to productivity.
As there are only 24 hours in every day you cannot borrow more time from tomorrow or yesterday to make the day longer so you HAVE to become good at:-
- Finding more hours in the day (either early morning (Rooster) or late at night (Owl)
- Or you need to micro-manage every hour to be as effective with your time as possible.
I have read a great deal of productivity tips and “typical days” of highly successful enough to realise that becoming more of a Rooster is the popular choice. (Your mind is at it's strongest first thing in the morning)
(This is Mark Ford's typical work day (Rooster) click here to read the post from Early To Rise)
Just so you do not feel isolated if you are more of an OWL (especially if you are holding down a full-time job and have a busy family life to work around) …
Tony Robbins asks clients who work 9am to 5pm .. “What do you do between 6pm & 12am?” (OWL)
It wasn't that long ago that I too became an OWL catching up on trainings, webinars and anything I could get my hands, eyes and ears on into the small hours after working a full time job, it was the only time I had available.
I am still looking forward to the days I can wake up and head to the beach for an early morning workout, plan my day and write or create something in that first hour of the day. #projectlifestyle!
Whichever suits you, becoming a Rooster or an Owl will help you get more done in the same amount of time that others use to watch TV.
3. Delegate, Outsource Or Buy “Done For You” Services Whenever Possible
At some time every entrepreneur realises that you can't do it all yourself.
You can try! And to some extent you will succeed but when you weigh up hours spent doing more of those 80% income producing activities versus doing everything yourself from telephone answering to admin, accountancy to marketing and sales you will certainly be not only guilty of spreading yourself too thin but you will almost certainly be valuable (and make more money in your business) if you focus more of your creativity and energy into doing more of the most effective business building activities and outsource as much as you can of the rest.
One of the new tasks to include in your day to day running of the business is of course social media.
While it is vitally important to have a social media presence today and in truth you want your voice to be .. your voice when it comes to Twitter and on Facebook hiring a company to “do” your social media for you is understandably becoming more of an outsourced task than ever before.
If you are serious about building a six figure income online you are at some point going to need to rethink trying to do everything yourself and start thinking about building your A-team.
It is a difficult one for some entrepreneurs to let go of (because they usually like to be in control) but to become more effective you will need to bring more of your creativity and energy to your business and focus on becoming the driving force not the mechanic.
- Run your day, don't let it run you.
- Section your To Do's into income producing, maintenance and “Other” it will reveal things to you about how you work.
- Find more hours in the day by becoming either a Rooster or an Owl.
- Start to find resources that you can outsource elements of your business in order to free up more time.
- Work out what an hour of your time is worth and make decisions based on that.
- Do more income producing activities every week for better, more effective results.
To your online marketing success!